Saturday, September 6, 2014 from 10:30am to 1pm FULL
Saturday, September 27, 2014 from 2pm to 4:30pm
Saturday, October 11, 2014 from 10:30am to 1pm
Tour only (starts at 10:30 am): $10 (self-selected sliding scale ok)
Sometimes, a veggie lunch is provided if there are at least 10 lunch reservations two days prior to the tour. Let us know your interest. Veggie lunch: $10. Tour and vegetarian lunch: $20
We will email you a tour and lunch confirmation by 5 pm on Friday before the tour.
You are also welcome to bring a brown bag and join the lunch discussion after the tour, or continue dialogue at one of the nearby inexpensive restaurants.
- RESERVATIONS REQUIRED*: email@example.com or 213/738-1254 (please include your phone number and zip code and note if you are requesting a lunch reservation).
- Fee: $10 (sliding scale available) for regular tour only. $20 when lunch included. You can pay at the door.
- Special Tours can be arranged by appointment. Minimum charge is $50 or $10 per person, whichever is more. Special tours that include lunch can be arranged for $25 per person.
- Location: Tour starts at 117 Bimini Place in L.A. Eco-Village, Los Angeles 90004
(On google maps or see directions page).
- PLEASE NOTE: Please do not bring your pets on the tour. We love dogs and cats but do not allow them on our main property.
The tour covers the following:
- Introductions and interests among members of tour group.
- History and context for the L.A. Eco-Village
- Definition of an ecovillage and our place in the international movement for more sustainable communities.
- Walking tour to observe actual conditions, actual and planned changes to the neighborhood as well as visionary possibilities.
- On-going questions and answers throughout the tour with Eco-Village guide or guides.
- Problems and progress in healthy development of an intentional community.
- What you need to know if you are considering entering a process with us or starting
ecovillage processes in your own neighborhood.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE IN-DEPTH INFORMATION ON ANY OF THE FOLLOWING TOPICS, PLAN TO STAY FOR THE “AFTER-TOUR” DIALOG
- Introduction to Permaculture concepts.
- The Ecological Systems of L.A. Eco-Village: water, energy, wastes, housing retrofits, transportation, food production, land use.
- The Economic Systems of L.A. Eco-Village: Urban Soil/Tierra Urbana Limited Equity Housing Cooperative, Beverly-Vermont Community Land Trust, Ecological Revolving Loan Fund, Echo Park Time Bank, Green Business Development.
- The Social Systems of L.A. Eco-Village: meeting processes, committees, communications, decision making, conflict, education and training, community meals, work parties, housekeeping, children, art, social activities.
- Working with the Public Sector: Housing Department, Redevelopment Agency, Neighborhood Councils, School District, Council Office, Mayor’s Office, Health Department, Congressional Office.
Let us know of your particular interests.
If you have already been on a tour, you are welcome to attend the “after-tour” dialog starting at 1pm. Let us know if you are planning to attend.
A SAMPLING OF GROUPS THAT HAVE TOURED L.A. ECO-VILLAGE
Colleges and Universities
- Azusa-Pacific Student groups
- Cal Poly Pomona Architecture class
- Golden West College class on culture and zero waste
- Montreal Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, Centre urbanisation, culture et société
- Mira Costa college
- Occidental College: Urban & Environmental Policy Institute
- Soka University
- UCLA Faculty in Residence
- UCLA class on Social Sustainability
- UCLA Sustainable Community class
- Vancouever College University, Environmental Aesthetics class
- Woodbury College, Dept. of Marketing
- Camino Nuevo charter high school
- Frank del Olmo 4th grade kids
- King Middle School kids
- Hale Charter Academy
- Oakwood school
- Port of Los Angeles High School Charter
- Virgil Middle School
- West High School, English and TV Production class
- Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, SoCal Leadership Network
- Neighborhood Youth Alliance
- Thai Trade Commission
- Turning Points Foundation
- Verde Concepts
Public Sector Tours
- City of Burbank staff
- City of Los Angeles Planning Dept. staff
- Council General of Thailand and staff
- Rampart Village Neighborhood Council
- Taiwan EPA staff
- U.S. State Dept. Sister City Youth Ambassadors