July 10, 2021
Urban Soil / Tierra Urbana – Position Announcement
Applications due: July 23, 2021 EXTENDED TO AUGUST 6, 2021 OR UNTIL FILLED
Urban Soil / Tierra Urbana (USTU) is seeking an experienced Resident Co-op Housing Manager to join our Management Team in our Intentional Community in the Los Angeles Eco-Village.
We are Urban Soil / Tierra Urbana, a 45 unit limited equity housing cooperative in Central Los Angeles affectionately known as the LA Eco-Village. We are an intentional cohousing community which self-governs using a consensus decision making process. Our nonprofit 501c3 corporation is led by our board of directors which is advised by our management committee and resident manager.
Please send your cover letter & resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The USTU Resident Manager is responsible for the general upkeep of 2 adjacent properties that house 45 residential units. While the position is salaried, the typical number of hours ranges from 20-30 hours per week. The manager will work with a management committee and the board of directors, staff and contractors, to carry out the following areas of work:
● Maintenance – Communicating with residents and contractors about
maintenance work. Obtaining estimates scheduling and overseeing larger capital improvement projects.
● Collecting rent and Paying Bills – Collecting rent and other fees from residents and paying bills such as insurance, contractors, reimbursements, property tax, payroll, etc.
● Vacancy Turnover and Inspections – Complete documents for vacancy turnovers. Inspect units on a regular basis and arrange for follow up maintenance work.
● Financial Planning & Reporting – Report to the community regarding
management decisions; including time in twice monthly management
committee meetings and community/board meetings.
● Compliance – Keeping up with various compliance reporting requirements: Property Tax exemption, HCIDLA accessibility requirements.
○ Directs & participates in daily operations.
○ Plans and executes interior and exterior improvements, including
○ Hires and supervises employees & independent contractors, including groundskeeper.
○ Identifies and negotiates with vendors and contractors.
○ Supervises and oversees routine cleaning of common spaces and guest units.
○ Responds to violations of Co-op rules.
○ Maintains positive relations with residents
Collecting rent and Paying Bills (30%)
○ Receives, records & deposits rents.
○ Works with the management team and residents to make
arrangements for rent arrears payments.
○ Pays bills
○ Submits payroll
○ Pays property taxes
Vacancy Turnover and Inspections (15%)
○ Manages Resident Move-in/Move-out
○ conducts the signing of the Rental/Lease Agreement(s),
○ reviews the Co-op Rules and familiarizes a new resident with the
○ documents the condition of the unit prior to move-in and after
○ assesses and documents any damages to determine the disposition of
the security deposit.
○ Oversees the securing, cleaning & painting of vacated units for
occupancy by new residents.
Financial Planning & Reporting (15%)
○ Works with the Treasurer to maintain reports & budgets of income and expenses for all purchases and payments, using Quickbooks.
○ Works with the Treasurer to propose the annual operating budget.
○ Fulfills reporting requirements of government agencies.
○ Works with accountants to submit 990 annual filing.
● Proven proficiency in areas of property management operations.
● Experience working with old buildings
● Strong financial, organizational, analytical and decision-making skills.
● Strong internet, word processing, spreadsheet and accounting software skills.
● Excellent communication, management, and people skills. Able to work collaboratively with the USTU community and Management Committee.
● Well educated in, and familiar with, the connections between social, economic and ecological systems in communities.
● Google Suite, Quickbooks, Mac and Windows
Additional Useful Qualifications
● Knowledge of consensus decision making processes.
● Familiarity with co-op model & self governance.
● Familiarity with permaculture principles
● Basic handyperson skills
● Familiarity with greywater systems
● Conversational Spanish
Salary and Benefits
Housing and Health Care
Salary $24K – $28K dependent on experience
.Equal Opportunity Employer:
USTU provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.